Who is a Candidate for Dental Implants?
Encinitas, Carlsbad, and San Diego
Dental implants are the best replacement option if you are missing a tooth or several teeth. While there are some exceptions, dental implants are appropriate for most people who are missing teeth. During your complimentary cosmetic consultation, Dr. Walsh-Cole will help you decide if dental implants are right for you.
You are a candidate for dental implants if you want a comfortable, natural-looking replacement for a tooth or teeth missing for any of the following reasons:
- An accident or injury
- Tooth decay
- Periodontal disease
- Born without permanent teeth to replace “baby teeth”
Dental implants are the best solution for patients who want:
- A permanent replacement for missing teeth
- To replace a bridge or partial
- Discreet tooth replacement – they look just like your natural teeth and you do not take them out at night or to clean them, so even your partner or spouse (or grandchildren) will never see you without your teeth
- To prevent premature aging caused by bone loss and gum shrinkage
- The most comfortable tooth replacement which will not slip or irritate the gums
- Tooth replacement that will not interfere with speaking or chewing
- The most convenient tooth replacement, because they do not require special hygiene practices or removal
- To protect surrounding healthy teeth by using a replacement option which does not rely on the surrounding teeth for support and which prevents bone loss
- The healthiest, most beautiful, and most comfortable form of tooth replacement
- To never have to think about the fact that you have lost a tooth or teeth again
Dental implants are appropriate for adults of all ages and can prevent premature aging by preventing bone loss and gum shrinkage.
Learn more about cosmetic dentistry for older adults.
Adequate bone material
You need adequate jaw bone material to support your dental implant. If you have already experienced bone loss you may still be a candidate. In many patients, a bone graft can be used to replace the missing bone material and support your implant.
The best candidates for dental implants are in good overall health. Certain serious health problems can prevent you from having dental implants, but do not assume that you are not a good candidate without talking to Dr. Walsh-Cole first. Many patients with chronic health conditions can still have dental implants if the proper precautions are taken.
If you would like to find out if you are a good candidate for dental implants, please contact us today to schedule your complimentary cosmetic consultation. You can learn more about implant dentistry by reading about Dental Implants and our Dental Implant Questions. Dr. Walsh-Cole, serving Encinitas, San Diego, Del Mar, Carlsbad and Rancho Santa Fe, would be happy to help you make this important dental health decision.